Monday 24 September 2012

The Eats: Fresh Corn Salad

Sadly, Summer had officially come to a close as far as the calendar says. Luckily we have been enjoying some summer weather still. This allows me to feel like its okay to make some of my favourite summer recipes still. We had a fun Mexican food night at one of our friends houses the other day. I brought along some Fresh Corn Salad. I absolutely love this salad. It is everything summer to me. It goes great as a side with so many different meals. Fresh Corn Salad is always a hit at a BBQ as well.


There are many variations you can do with this salad. Your base is always fresh corn. When I say fresh corn, I actually mean it. I buy corn on the cob (husk on). Peel it, boil it (sometimes I even grill it), cool it, then cut it off the cob. It is definitely more work, but so worth it. Be sure not to over cook it so that it still has some crunch to it. I usually put the corn in a pot of water, bring to a boil, and let it boil for a few minutes. You can tell as the colour turns more yellow that its ready. When I cut if off the cob I usually leave some of the chunks of kernels in tact. I love the way it looks in the salad. To make the corn easier to handle I break the cobs in half before I cook it. In this variation I added black beans, diced red onion, sliced grape tomatoes, chopped cucumber, diced red pepper, diced avocado, and fresh chopped cilantro. For the dressing, I used a little under a 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil, 1 squeezed lime, a couple dashes of chipotle chili pepper, sea salt & pepper. This salad is really made with simple ingredients. The best way to describe the way it tastes is: Fresh! Until next summer, when we will enjoy more fresh salads just like this one. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment